Re: Clutch Bleeding

To: mailkendall@sbcglobal.net (Kendall Larsen)
Subject: Re: Clutch Bleeding
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 14:37:54 -0700
Kendall---One sure-fire way to bleed the clutch MC is to connect a clear
tube from the (slightly opened) Slave bleed screw, back up into the MC
reservoir. If there's any air in the line, you'll see the bubbles
ascend, as you depress the clutch pedal. (It's OK to re-use this clutch
fluid.)

To get any air out of the SC bore, disconnect the clevis pin at the push
rod to the  clutch arm. With the bleed screw open about a half turn, and
the tube connected, push the SC piston back into it's bore. Again, see
if any air comes up the clear tube.

The bleed screw should be in the uppermost position, in relation to the
body of the SC, of course.

When satisfied that there's no air present, close off the bleed screw
before allowing the SC piston to return to rest, as you reconnect the
clevis.

IF you think there's a pocket of air in the MC, (which should be rare)
disconnect the fluid pipe and push in the piston. Always keep the
reservoir topped up during any of these bleedings. You can do this off
the car, or on, with assistance.

Dick

From:
mailkendall@sbcglobal.net(Kendall Larsen)
Hi List,
I'm having some problems with my clutch. And I want to check "air in the
system" off of the list of likely culprits. Is bench bleeding the most
reliable way of ensuring that there is no air in the system?
Next question, what is the least awkward method of bench bleeding?
Thanks!
Kendall