Crank end float

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Crank end float
From: "mjmullin@juno.com" <mjmullin@juno.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 12:21:29 GMT
Hi all:
Thanks to Kai, Jim, Rick, and Gary for their responses regarding the
intermediate pipe crossover question.  I do run out of steam in the higher rpm
range, but don't want to loose the Ansa sound either.
After hearing about crank thrust washers going in backwards (I've only
assembled one engine in my life, and that's the one in the '6), I put a dial
indicator on the crank damper this weekend to find I've got 9 thousands end
float on the crank (cold engine).  Bentley manual says 6 to 8 thou.  At what
point do I start to become worried and drop the oil pan?  How much end float
will there be when the thrust washers drop into the oil pan?
As always, thanks for your valued advice.
Matt Mullin - 6-PACK Chairman