Running Rich

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Running Rich
From: "Cary Henry" <caryhenry@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 11:30:43 -0400
I just installed my recently rebuilt motor on saturday.  It is bored 0.020
over, flat decked and has 0.125 shaved from the head.  I also installed a
new GP2 cam.  I ordered fully adjustable B1AR needles from Joe Curto and had
them installed 1.5 turns from full rich in the carburetors.  I had it
running on sunday, but it was running rich and didn't idle very smoothly.  I
set the timing to where it would idle best, which was quite advanced at
around 26 btdc.  I then started adjusting the carbs yesterday, and got them
synced pretty well.  All of the sudden the car started running so rich that
it won't even idle.  If I hold the throttle open I can get it to run at
about 2000rpms but it misses quite a bit.  It is also putting out some black
smoke.  These needles are the same run by Vance Navarette, and I seem to
have a very similar setup to his so I can't imagine they are the problem.
My only guess is that the carbs are leaking fuel into the intake manifold
and are in dire need of a rebuild.  I can even see gas puddling in the
intake when I open the carbs.  Does anyone have any other suggestions before
I start tearing apart the carbs?
Thanks,
Cary