Tedious jobs

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Tedious jobs
From: apackard68@comcast.net
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 15:26:23 +0000
I can think of two leading candidates for "Most Tedious Job" on our cars,
having just completed one last night.  I'm not sure which to put first, so
since it is fresh in my memory, I'm going with the one I just did.
#1 Installing the grommets in the mounting plate for the windshield wiper
motor.  The grommets are 2 1/2 times the size of the hole and they need to be
pushed through little by little.  I used the advice I heard a while back of not
using any lubricant so your progress won't slip backwards as you go.  Mine are
in, but not without some chew marks from the little screwdriver I used to push
it through and sore hands from the repetitive prying.
#2 Installing the nylon throttle shaft bushings.  I know that some of you have
bragged about some miracle installation method for these things, but the two
times I've done this, I always seem to revert to the same BA screwdriver prying
method.  Awkward positioning and a tight fit make this a sweaty and strenuous
job.  Forcing the throttle shaft back into the hole is no dream, either, but at
least you're almost done at this point.  I have learned that a few seconds in
the microwave prior to installation help soften the bushings just enough.
Any other candidates out there?
Andy Packard
CD6746L TO