RE: Do late TR6 heads interchange with all GT6's?

To: "steve bridge" <slbridge@hotmail.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Do late TR6 heads interchange with all GT6's?
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 09:28:29 -0700
        Steve:

        They will interchange, but the compression will be practically
non-existent unless you mill the head extensively to reduce the size of
the compression chamber. The GT6 head has the smallest combustion
chamber because it is a 2 liter engine instead of a 2.5 liter.
        Early GT6s had a 9.5:1 compression, the last GT6s had 9.0:1 I
believe, although the North American models may have been lower. Compare
that to the late TR6 engines which were 7.75:1 and had larger
displacement to boot, and you can see that the stock TR6 chamber size is
waaaaay too large for a GT6 motor.
        A late TR6 chamber is approx 58cc (allowing 3cc for the head
gasket). That will give a 6.5:1 compression ratio on a GT6 motor. Yawn.
To get the later TR6 head to 9.0:1 on a GT6 motor, will require milling
off enough to get you to 42cc including head gasket. This would be
approximately 0.280" milled off, which is a very large number indeed.
The head can go that far, but your machinist will have the men in white
coats with butterfly nets visiting you.
        Since this is a whopping amount to mill off, you should cc your
chambers and verify the numbers I mention here, since they are back of
the envelope calculations, I can't do math, never trust information you
get on the internet, yada, yada, yada....

        Cheers,

        Vance