gearbox/clutch question

To: "6pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: gearbox/clutch question
From: "John VanNorman" <jvannorman@wowway.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2006 16:01:09 -0500
Gearbox/clutch question for the list.  The car has been out of commission this
past winter/summer due to some extensive
interior work and other projects.  My dad (who is keeping my baby at his place
during all this work) went to move her
today and is having problems putting her into gear when she is running (gears
grind when you try to put her into any of
the forward gears or reverse). I've been on the phone with him for a while
today running through different things to
test and here is what we've found:

- Clutch fluid level is fine
- He can put her into gear with no problem when the engine is not running
- If put the car into gear with the clutch pedal pressed in and then start it,
as soon as it started, the car jumps and
dies (he has only tried that in reverse to avoid running into the garage
wall!).
- It appears that the slave cylinder is leaking fluid around the push rod when
the clutch pedal is pushed in.

He is going to drag my poor mother out into the garage and have her help him
while he measures the distance the push rod
on the slave cylinder travels when the clutch pedal is pushed in, but in the
meanwhile I thought I would email the list
and see if anyone can confirm my thoughts.  I'm thinking (and hoping) that
slave cylinder has gone bad (the fluid
leaking out is what is leading me to that and I'm hoping it isn't the dreaded
broken pin on the fork).  To me it sounds
like the push rod isn't traveling far enough to disengage the clutch.  Any
thoughts?

John V.
1974 1/2 TR6