RE: brake fluid (2)

To: 6pack <6pack@autox.team.net>, samuelsma@aol.com
Subject: RE: brake fluid (2)
From: "Shawn J. Loseke" <sloseke@holly.colostate.edu>
Date: Sun, 3 Sep 2006 18:10:56 -0600
>===== Original Message From samuelsma@aol.com =====
>Listers:
>
>Thanks for your comments on getting the pistons back into the calipers to
allow pad installation (anything has to be better than using toothed Vice
Grips!).  When I read the responses, it appeared to me that some (all?) of you
are removing the calipers when changing pads.  Is that correct?  I don't know
if I could fit a C-clamp into the area, because I did not remove the caliper.
There isn't much room between the disk and the caliper piston to fit a clamp
into.  On my Porsche, pads slide in and out without caliper removal.  Should I
remove the caliper on the 6 when changing pads?

>Michael

Nope, don't have to remove the caliper. You don't have to clamp the C-clamp in
the middle of the pad, on the edge is fine becasue it only has to be backed
off enough to allow removal of the old pad, then you can push it back further
once the pad is out of the way so that the new pads will fit down into the
caliper.

Shawn

Shawn J. Loseke
Fort Collins, CO