Re: Yet another clutch thread - FIXED! / preload

To: John VanNorman <jvannorman@wowway.com>,
Subject: Re: Yet another clutch thread - FIXED! / preload
From: Kendall Larsen <mailkendall@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 09:54:48 -0700 (PDT)
Hi John,

> I've often wondered about this - how does using the pre-load spring on the
> cross shaft affect the amount of resistance
> felt when pushing in the clutch pedal?

I don't really notice much difference, maybe just a little bit at first, it's
hard to say with out doing an "A" now "B" type of comparison. The thing is as
you press the pedal the pre-load spring relaxes as the push-rod goes through
it's travel. So I'm not sure you're getting much help depressing the pressure
plate. Besides I loaded the spring by hand so it can't be that strong. I would
have to have a pretty big lever to start depressing the pressure plate by hand.

> And Kendall, out of curiosity, how did you decide what strength spring to go
> with?

This was easy, it was the only spring I had around. It's a new spring that is
intended to act as a return spring in the pedal box... I got it from TRF. It's
'maybe' stretched an inch, with the push-rod fully extended around a half inch
I guess maybe less. Just enough so that it doesn't go slack when the clutch is
disengaged.

I wasn't interested in pulling on the arm very hard, just enough so that
mysterious 'creep back' didn't happen. A cleaner approach would be to replace
the spring internal to the clutch slave cylinder. Or eventually find the root
cause...

Kendall
1974 1/2 TR6
San Clemente, CA