Re: Rear Shock Conversion Frame Problems

To: vance.navarrette@intel.com, rgperry@earthlink.net,
Subject: Re: Rear Shock Conversion Frame Problems
From: Pimento73@aol.com
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 19:54:13 EDT
In a message dated 9/22/2006 6:33:41 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
vance.navarrette@intel.com writes:

I am not  certain I agree with your hypothesis. It seems to me
that both designs will  attempt to rotate around the same point, midway
between the two bolts.  There is no difference in torque with different
lever arm connection  points, only when the effective length of the lever
changes is there a  torque change. Since both designs mount in exactly
the way, that should  make no difference.

I apologize to those on the list who have formal training in  engineering
(which i do not) for trying to apply common sense to this situation,  but
here's
the way I see it:
with the lever arm shock, twisting force applied to the cross member which
might break it off the frame, pivots around a point relatively near the 2
mounting holes -if you plotted a force vector for the force applied to the
cross
member, wouldn't it constantly change direction as the lever arm pivoted?
now take the lever shock off and bolt a rigid bracket on and apply force to
the cross member thru the end of the bracket - now it seems to me that you're
using a  longer lever to apply force to the cross member and you're force
vector never changes direction.
Which situation gives you a better chance of breaking the cross member off
the frame?

Jack Mc