Re: Rear Shock Conversion Frame Problems Part 2

To: vance.navarrette@intel.com, 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Rear Shock Conversion Frame Problems Part 2
From: acekraut11@aol.com
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2006 00:31:35 -0400
 Hi Vance,

 Much has been said to this point, not all of which I can be sure I am
following the way that each author has intended. So forgive me if I
misunderstand your statements or questions.

 It is easier to understand what is happening if you were to look at how things
work while the system is on the car and you then depress the shock, as Rick and
I did while we were standing under the car while the car was on his lift. The
shock will be a straight line between the top of the shock mounting bracket and
where it attaches to the trailing arm. Because the trailing arm travels in a
semi-circle and the top of the shock mount is not designed to move at different
points the top of the shock mount will be pushed backwards. It may not be much
at first, but the more fatigue placed upon the differential frame over time
will result in failure, unless your differential mount is of sufficient
strength to keep the shock mount from traveling at all. The real question will
be answered by time, and that is, is the stock frame sufficient to handle the
stress. I dont know the answer to that question but I believe that adding a
rear brace to the system will make sure that there are!
  no problems and that the entire load is absorbed by the stock shock mounts
AND the additional brace on the back of the shock mount.

 One thing is for certain and that is that there is no bump stop with the shock
conversion.

 I believe that the brace would stop any deflection but I just have common
sense to back up my suggestion.

 Aaron
    Aaron Cropley
 71 TR6 (Throttle Body Injection!)