Engine knock

To: 6-Pack <6pack@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Engine knock
From: John Mitchell <jmitch@snet.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2006 21:20:40 -0400
   Well, I think I found the cause of my knock.  The crankcase was full
of gas.  I drained the oil tonight to get ready to take the pan off this
weekend and drained several quarts of  gas.  There was definitely metal
in the oil as it looked like metallic paint.  I ran a magnet through the
oil and nothing stuck, so I assume it's bearing material,  I had changed
the oil only about 2 weeks ago and there was no gas then, so Ive only
put about 10 miles on the car since then.  I'm assuming it's a bad fuel
pump, but I guess it could be a stuck carb float too.  I'll check the
bearings this weekend.  Am I correct in that I can change the bearings
without removing the crankshaft?  I'm at least happy that's it's not
camshaft in the oil.   John Mitchell  76 TR6