Re: Engine knock

To: jmitch@snet.net (John Mitchell)
Subject: Re: Engine knock
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2006 14:54:23 -0700
John---I've never had the pleasure of a fuel pump leaking fuel into the
block, but I would think this could be determined now that you have the
pan off. With a (nearly) full gas tank, gas could still be seeping down
to where you would know it. Otherwise, go with the "stuck float needle
valve" theory. (Check for plug wet/richness here).

Yes, all of these bearings can be changed with the crankshaft in place.
Give the journals a good lookover, to be sure none were scored.
To check the main bearing journals, remove only the two middle caps.
Check them, replace caps, and then do the two on the ends. If all of the
bearing journals look good, you could leave the more difficult-to-check
front bearing in place.
With so few miles on this engine, the condition of the bearings
themselves should tell a lot about the journal surfaces.

Dick

From:
jmitch@snet.net(John Mitchell)

      Well, I think I found the cause of my knock. The
crankcase was full of gas. I drained the oil tonight to get ready to
take the pan off this weekend and drained several quarts of gas. There
was definitely metal in the oil as it looked like metallic paint. I ran
a magnet through the oil and nothing stuck, so I assume it's bearing
material, I had changed the oil only about 2 weeks ago and there was no
gas then, so Ive only put about 10 miles on the car since then. I'm
assuming it's a bad fuel pump, but I guess it could be a stuck carb
float too. I'll check the bearings this weekend.

Am I correct in that I can change the bearings without removing the
crankshaft?

I'm at least happy that's it's not camshaft in the oil.   John
Mitchell 76 TR6