Re: [6pack] Hydraulic clutch conversion

To: samuelsma@aol.com
Subject: Re: [6pack] Hydraulic clutch conversion
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2007 14:21:54 -0400 (EDT)
On Wed, 2 May 2007 samuelsma@aol.com wrote:

> Listers:

> I have been following the hydraulic clutch/5 speed conversion thread
> with interest.  As I do not have overdrive, the 5th gear sounds very
> attractive.  But the reason for this note is to question what is wrong
> with the standard clutch.
>  On my '70 PI, I had a master cylinder problem that resolved with a
> rebuild kit.  On my '76, I had a "sticky clutch" problem that resolved
> with the recommended machining (smoothing of the cover) from the
> Buckeye website.  Otherwise, both clutches have worked great.  What
> does a hydraulic clutch gain over stock if stock is working right?

Well, first off, the Toyota conversion has no way to accomodate the clutch
cross-shaft that the stock tranny/clutch uses. So you need _something_.

Other than that, the annular clutch release bearing eliminates all the
mechanical linkages in the system, except for the clutch pedal swivel and
the clutch pedal actuator rod. So you get a more consistant clutch
experience for the life of the clutch.

Then there's that silly clutch fork pin...

But if you have a stock setup and and it's working right... why mess with
it?

> Thanks.
>
> Michael
> '76 Tahiti blue
> CF 57044U

regards,
rml
Consultant            MIT IS&T unix-linux-help |
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |  Cell: 339-927-4489