RE: [6pack] Time for new chrome

To: "'Phil Beckman'" <pbeckman@ameritech.net>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [6pack] Time for new chrome
From: "Greg Dito" <dito9561@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sun, 7 Oct 2007 19:23:40 -0400
Phil,

I asked the same question of someone who restores cars and he referred me to
Graves Plating in Alabama (NFI) even though it had been a couple of years
since he had any chrome work.  He said that they were a very good value and
offered excellent work with a fairly quick turnaround.  There were a few
platers I mentioned that he quickly said, "Don't!" because of time or cost
or both. So I took his word and had parts from my 250 done by Graves.

There has apparently been a sharp rise in the price of nickel and copper,
not to mention the petroleum based products used in the process, over the
past 18 months.  This was all explained to me in patient detail by Mr.
Graves himself when I called to question the billing.  And my parts required
next to zero metal repair (metal pitting, cracks, gouges, bent parts, etc).
But I was very pleased with the quality of the work and the turnaround of
about 4 weeks.

Do not skimp on the quality of the chrome work.  There is not a huge
difference and more than likely you will see blistering and flaking plating
if you go to a 'bargain' plater.  Doing it right is not cheap but do it
cheap and you'll end up doing it again.  And some well known platers are
very good but also very expensive.  Best thing to do is shop around once you
have a short list.

Good luck,
Greg Dito
CD6250L