RE: [6pack] Considering a TR6 purchase, Looking for possible

To: "jhaeg" <haeg1@mninter.net>, "6pack List" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [6pack] Considering a TR6 purchase, Looking for possible
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 08:26:47 -0700
        John:

        In general the clutch is NOT adjustable, although there are
several simple maintenance items that can improve the clutch release
point significantly. It is also possible that the fork pin is broken,
but until you rule out the simple stuff there is no way to know without
a teardown. Possible causes are low fluid, worn clevis pins, incorrect
slave cylinder installation, worn push rod, leaky slave cylinder, etc.
        The redlines will need to be replaced immediately - they are
very unsafe when they get old (and most redlines are very old by now).
Even if the tread wear is satisfactory, they can fail suddenly at speed,
with a resulting loss of control.
        The interior is a satisfying do it yourself project. It is also
easily done professionally - you can buy the bits and have someone do it
for you. If you have the slightest inkling to do it yourself, wade in
you will be glad you did. You can buy complete carpet kits, and complete
foam and vinyl covering kits. You should also replace the rubber seat
diaphragms when you reupholster the seats. The dash pads are all
available new and very reasonably priced.
        An overdrive transmission and FACTORY hardtop each add $1,000 to
the value of the car - so the car sounds like a screaming deal.
        Remember that if you can see rust bubbling the paint, the damage
will be much worse when you remove the paint. It is a good bet that the
fender has been holed and should be repaired soon.
        Bad turn signals is most likely the flasher - they are very
marginal on TR6s. A $2 two terminal generic flasher from the auto parts
store will probably fix this permanently - although it will not fit in
the clip that holds the OEM Lucas flasher. You can, for another $1,
replace the stock clip with one that will hold the more common round
flasher unit.
        *IF* the engine was rebuilt with new bearings, then the thrust
washers were almost certainly replaced as well. However, given the time
and expense of fixing a car with bad/missing thrust washers, I would
take a big screwdriver with me if/when I actually did the deal - and
recheck the crank movement before I handed over the money.
        The car sounds like a real deal - as long as you are willing to
deal with the deferred maintenance. If you are reluctant, then you
should plan on spending more for a nicer or even a restored car. But for
someone who likes to tinker, I say go for it.

        Vance