[6pack] exhaust leak question

To: 6-Pack <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: [6pack] exhaust leak question
From: "John VanNorman" <jsvannorman@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 12:42:45 -0400
Educational question for the group.  The exhaust system on my dad's 74
1/2 TR6 has a leak in one of the pipes running to the muffler (right
were two pipes join together midway back).  It is a big enough leak
that it blackened a spot on the garage floor while idling for a while
and exhaust gas builds up inside the car if you idle for anything
longer than a minute or too.  The exhaust system is shot and we have a
new one to install, but it got me thinking - other than sound, what,
if any, impact does an exhaust leak have on engine performance?  I
understand the positives of reduced backpressure and such with free
flow systems, etc, but I'm thinking more in terms of things such as
idling quality and smoothness.  And how about the carbs, would an
exhaust leak impact the performance of the carbs?

John V.
1974 1/2 TR6
--
www.vannorman.no-ip.org