RE: [6pack] exhaust leak question

To: "John VanNorman" <jsvannorman@gmail.com>, "6-Pack"
Subject: RE: [6pack] exhaust leak question
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 10:40:28 -0700
        John:

        A leak would reduce back pressure, and have the potential to
improve performance if the car calibration is correct. HOWEVER, the leak
would need to be good sized. There is a safety concern with a leak, as
carbon monoxide becomes a concern.
        What is more likely is that the leak changes the needed
calibration for the carbs and results in a lean mixture, potentially
reducing performance. I would not expect there to be a noticeable change
in idle quality or smoothness (although if the noise level is up
appreciably, the perception may be that there is a reduction in
smoothness.
        Exhaust leaking under the car has the potential to leak into the
cabin and result in poisoning. Not a problem with the top down, but with
the top up and the windows rolled up things become unsafe. This is
because the interior of the car tends to be at a lower pressure and so
will "pull" the fumes in. So get that leak fixed.
        If you are installing a new OEM style system, consider having
the joints welded. I installed new OEM style pipes from Moss and found
that the ends had been over flared, so clamps could not get pipes
sealed. I had to have everything welded to get rid of the leaks.
        If your system is not an OEM style, AND you have a *good*
muffler (many of the aftermarket systems are very disappointing in this
regard) you can expect a 5% or more pop in horsepower if you recalibrate
your carbs appropriately. A low restriction muffler will make the
mixture go lean - and re-tweaking the mixture will be necessary for
optimum performance.

        Cheers,

        Vance