Re: [6pack] Special Bolts Needed?

To: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>, "Bob Danielson"
Subject: Re: [6pack] Special Bolts Needed?
From: "Robert N. Clark" <rclark@robertsonclark.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 13:31:04 -0800
Bob,

Is there are reason why you are replacing the original nuts and bolts
other than to have nice new hardware?  Is there some indication that
these bolts need replacement or are prone to failure?  It seems the weak
link in our cars is the u-joint and failure of all 4 flange bolts at one
time is quite remote.

Bob Clark
'69 TR6

        Bob:

        I was completely ignorant of this when I reassembled my
driveshaft and axles. I used standard Grade 8 hardware. So far no
issues, but if you read my obituary and it says I died in a car crash,
well, you will be able to guess what happened.

        Vance

A while ago there was a discussion about the special bolts that TR6
calipers use, but how about the driveshaft and axle flange bolts? TRF
lists them in their catalog as "Special Bolt # 107960". Is this another
example of the collar being a unique size relative to the thread? At a
$1.50 each the price adds up pretty fast.

Thanks

Bob

Bob Danielson
1975 TR6 CF38503U