Re: [6pack] Whistling Throwout Bearing

To: Ron Landis <Ron.Landis@kentcountymi.gov>, 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [6pack] Whistling Throwout Bearing
From: "Sally or Dick Taylor" <tr6taylor@webtv.net>
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2008 19:48:55 GMT
Ron---I don't know if everyone who has installed the TOYO bearing has
experienced the whistling, but I know I have. (Also on another TR6 that I put
this bearing in) What could be the issue here is the weight of this bearing.
While it is certainly more robust than some of the others, this could mean that
it takes more friction against the clutch fingers to come up to speed. At one
time I tried "pre-loading it" ala the instructions for the Gunst bearing.  But
to no avail. It would sing just as yours until more pressure was placed on the
clutch pedal. This singing, or whistling, should cause no particular damage,
other than to one's nerves. It could cause some grooving in the clutch fingers
over extensive use, tho.

As with all throwout bearings, it is important to "center" the bearing in
relation to the clutch. This is done by using the two (3/8"diam.) aligning pins
thru the engine backplate and bellhousing.

Finally, one must be sure that the front cover is not worn so much as to allow
this bearing and its sleeve to droop from itsown weight, as this could set up a
misalignment at the clutch.

Dick