Re: [6pack] Hood (the British meaning)

To: Kevin McNelis <kmcnelis@nmsu.edu>, "6pack@autox.team.net"
Subject: Re: [6pack] Hood (the British meaning)
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 10:43:51 -0700
        Kevin:

        The chrome handles only fit on the hood one way with respect to the
curvature of the handles, at least on my 74-1/2 that is the way they work.
        The handles should point towards each other and the rear view mirror
when the hood is in use and latched in place. If you are breaking the handle
screws, then you are using the handles in an inappropriate manner (Are you
pulling down on the handles while seated in the car? - Naughty, NAUGHTY). If
you insist on doing it this way, get some grade 10 screws (black oxide finish)
to secure the handles. I recommend an alternate way to raise the hood,
however.

Vance's method to use the hood without breaking anything:

      1. Roll down both side windows, step out of the car and close the
doors.
      2. Remove the hood cover and stow it.
        3. Standing outside the car for this AND ALL SUBSEQUENT STEPS, raise
the hood halfway.
        4. Snap both rear quarter windows in place.
        5. Raise the hood as far as possible by gently pulling on the forward
hood edge.
        6. Rotate the latch handle to align the pin with the corresponding
slot on the windscreen header.
        7. Place one hand on the top of the forward hood bow, and reach in
through the window opening with the other, grasping the 3rd support bow with
your palm up.
        8. *Pull* the 3rd support bow firmly forward, while pressing down
GENTLY on the forward bow.
      9. When the latch pin slips into the windscreen header, hold down the
forward hood bow and move your  hand from the 3rd bow to the latch handle.
      10. Turn the latch handle towards the mirror to engage the latch.
      11. Move to the other side of the car, and repeat steps six through
ten.

        This works for me very well. If your car folds up like a cheap beach
chair while following this procedure or you blow out your back, you did
something wrong. =:-o

    Vance Navarrette
    Cogito Ergo Zoom
    I think, therefore I go fast