Re: [6pack] new clutch

To: PeterSchop@aol.com, 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [6pack] new clutch
From: "Sally or Dick Taylor" <tr6taylor@webtv.net>
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2008 20:42:10 GMT
Peter---For sure, if the fork is securely welded to the operating shaft, there
should be no issues with the pin breaking. Likely just as true when using the
double pin method. Eventually, the outboard bushings will wear, and the shaft
will have to be cut to remove it, to replace these bushings.

Resurface the flywheel if you can see any wear, as sometimes a change in the
clutch disc OD will try riding on the "unused" part of the flywheel, causing
slippage and grief.
Many owners like to lighten the 'wheel at this time.

Some grease on the front cover is OK. I would wipe off what's there and use the
grease supplied with the Gunst bearing and sleeve. Be sure this front cover has
not worn to the point that will let the new sleeve sag. I like to see no more
than .005 difference between the cover OD and the sleeve ID. Others say more
clearance is necessary to keep these parts from  "sticking". I have found too
much clearance leads to this bearing to run off center to the clutch, which can
lead to squealling, or chirping.

Dick