[6pack] Engine swap

To: 6pack List <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: [6pack] Engine swap
From: Kendall Larsen <mailkendall@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2008 17:41:48 -0700 (PDT)
Hi List,

A bit ago I was on here asking where I could find a crankshaft to
replace the badly damaged one in my 74 TR6. I found a few in the $250 range
that would have worked ok.

But then I found a complete running (when it was
pulled) engine with carbs for cheap. So now I have a 1970 engine. I got a
little carried away thinking that I could just install the running (albeit
somewhat tired) engine and rebuild my original engine at a later date. But I
didn't think my cunning plan all the way through. I remembered that the port
spacing was different and the intake manifolds were different. However I
forgot that the exhaust manifold was single pipe system on the '70 and not the
dual pipes of the 74. So my exhaust won't bolt up.

There are a few possible
courses of action. I'd like your thoughts if you're in the mood to share...
1.) Have a down pipe made up / modified to fit the old manifold single pipe
exhaust to my dual exhaust.

2.) Put my 74 head on the 1970 block and run it
like that. Will this work?

3.) Pull the crank and finish building my original
engine properly. Then part out the rest of the 1970 engine.

4.) Amazing ideas
I haven't thought of yet?

Kendall
San Clemente, CA