Re: [6pack] Idle mind

To: Robert Lang <lang@isis.mit.edu>, John Summers
Subject: Re: [6pack] Idle mind
From: Alan Atkinson <alanatkinson@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2008 11:43:07 -0500
Google H1V8.
Lament the shrinking of your retirement fund, and then calculate how many
relatives you'll need to sell into slavery to buy one.
Weight reduction - we don't need no steenking weight reduction...

> Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2008 11:10:58 -0500> From: lang@isis.mit.edu> To:
rivers2hills@yahoo.com> CC: 6pack@autox.team.net> Subject: Re: [6pack] Idle
mind> > On Fri, 31 Oct 2008, John Summers wrote:> > > Was walking the dogs
today and a motorcycle passed by. That led me to > > think of the
Caterham/Hyabusa combination which led me to think of a TR > > 6 Hyabusa
combination. The CAterham is what, 1,300 lbs lighter than a > > TR 6 so a
higher power to weight ratio. Not that I'll ever do anything > > radical to my
6 but (daydreaming) if I were, how much weight could > > actually be pared off
and what parts would need to come off. And forget > > the motorcycle engine.
Though yesterday I was riding along side a Honda > > Rebel and thought it
sounded "cute":))> > I can tell you how to get a basic TR6 down to about 1950
pounds, after > that, you're on your own.> > Toss all the body steel, bumpers
and interior. That's pretty much it.> > The biggest "gains" in weight
reduction are gotten by tossing the bonnet > and boot lid. Depending on the
year your car was made, the bumpers weigh > < 50 pounds each to a LOT more
(assuming that you toss the bumper and all > brackets up to the frame.) But
you can get rid of between 150 and 300 > pounds with the bumpers. If the car
will be street driven, go to the > early-style bumpers and brackets and you'll
lose a net of about 150 > pounds.> > Everything else you toss gets less and
less advantage.> > Also note that some of the 'glass fenders weigh about the
same as stock. > This is because they are cast fairly thick so as to be more
durable. Thin > fenders can really shed some weight but come at the cost that
it's hard to > keep them looking good as stone chips, star cracks and idiots
leaning on > them tend crack the paint (and worse).> > > John Summers> > '74
TR 6> > If you want to compare notes, check with me off-list.> > regards,>
rml>