Re: [6pack] Brake Master Rebuild

To: "Sally or Dick Taylor" <tr6taylor@webtv.net>
Subject: Re: [6pack] Brake Master Rebuild
From: David B Johnson <dbjohnso@us.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2009 09:08:33 -0500
Thanks Dick. I've received lots of good advice as expected.  I think I'm
primed and ready to go this weekend. I'll disassemble, inspect, hone and
clean as necessary, unless it's beyond salvation.  I haven't ordered the
kit yet, but once I have it completed and tested I'll report back on my
experience!
Thanks to all who jumped in.

Dave

             "Sally or Dick
             Taylor"
             <tr6taylor@webtv.                                          To
             net>                      David B
                                       Johnson/Burlington/IBM@IBMUS,
             02/04/2009 06:03          "'6-Pack'" <6pack@autox.team.net>

                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: [6pack] Brake Master Rebuild

Dave---As with most jobs of this kind, the first repair will seem more
difficult. "Slipping" on the new piston seal will seem like trying to get
cooked spaghetti up the proverbial wildcat's .... But it will go, using a
liberal dose of brake fluid on both parts. (Strong thumbs required) You'll
want to take a good look at the MC bore, to be sure it's free of pits and
noticeable striations. The key to a sucessful rebuild could be the use of a
two-stoned brake cylinder hone and a hand drill may be necessary to get
this bore as shiney as new. Hand finish the bore with the finest grade of
emery cloth you can get. I've used kits from both of these suppliers with
reasonable success.

Dick