Re: [6pack] Using Opened Brake Fluid

To: Bob Danielson <75TR6@tr6.danielsonfamily.org>
Subject: Re: [6pack] Using Opened Brake Fluid
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 11:09:39 -0800
        Bob:

        DOT4 brake fluid is indeed hygroscopic. That is, it absorbs moisture
out of
the air.

        If the DOT4 container was tightly capped after use, it should be just
fine to
use brake fluid from an already opened container. DOT 4 fluid turns a dark
gray or dark brown when it absorbs moisture, so if it is clear and "clean"
looking then it is still perfectly good. You will notice that the old brake
fluid in our cars gets very dark as it absorbs water, and it should be
replaced bi-annually to restore good performance and to avoid rusting brake
parts.
        DOT5 is NOT hygroscopic, and never has moisture issues unless it is
somehow
directly contaminated, so it will not go "stale" as DOT4 can. DOT5 has other
problems such as bubble entrainment, cost, and non-miscibility with DOT4 but
in general is a good choice when rebuilding or even doing a complete fluid
replacement. I converted my TR6 to DOT5 three years ago to insure my new paint
did not get puked on. So far, everything has been perfect. I would be overdue
for a fluid change if I had used DOT4 when I restored my car.

        Vance

    Vance Navarrette
    Cogito Ergo Zoom
    I think, therefore I go fast