Re: [6pack] Removing Front Spindles

To: Cris Hemingway <cris_tr6@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [6pack] Removing Front Spindles
From: Robert Lang <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 10:54:41 -0500 (EST)
On Thu, 26 Feb 2009, Cris Hemingway wrote:

> Need some creative ideas on how to do this, as I have taken off the hub and
> rotor, and as per the manual "tapped" the end of the spindle to release the
> taper.

I find the "tapping" reference in the "book" to be quite amusing.
Particularly, the one for removing u-joints. But I digress.

I had a set that I tried pretty much everything on - beating, pressing,
beating and pressing, soaking... you get the idea. At the risk of breaking
the magic 3k barrier, I'll cut to the chase.

When things are stuck, you have two choices - decide the part is junk and
find another OR resort to drastic measures (DM). With DM you need to
consider which part(s) can be sacrificed to attain the goal.

In this instance, you probably want to try to save the vertical link. So
you can sacrifice the axle stub. Reverting back to my episode above, I was
sitting in the garage one night looking at my oxy-acetylene tanks and
thinking...I wonder. In less than an hour, I had four links ready for new
axle stubs.

Takehomes - DO NOT HEAT THE LINK ITSELF. Instead, heat the stub and then
"quench" with oil. You don't need to make the metal red hot, just get it
really warm (maybe 150 or so) and then quench. If you get it too hot, the
oil (or PB Blaster or Kerosene) will "flash" and you have flames which can
be "an issue". About the only other "trick" is to make a piece of pipe
that is cut squarely that is longer than the axle stub so you can rest the
link on that when you try to apply some force. I think 1.5" black pipe is
more than adequate, the key is that you don't want to mess up the sealing
surface on the link. But repeat - heat, quench, whack, heat, quench,
whack... I use a nut on the end of the threads as a matter of habit. It is
possible to peen the end of the shaft so much you have to cut or grind it
off to get it out of the link. You don't want that.

If you get the link hot (like red), just toss it. It's def junk at that
point.

Regards,
rml
Bob Lang              NER/SCCA                 |  This space for rent
Solo Chair 2008       TR6 40 F Prepared        |  Triumph!
Voice:781-438-2568    FAX: 617-258-9535        |  Cell: 339-927-4489