Re: [6pack] PI Rocker Ratio?

To: John Cyganowski <janah@att.net>, "6pack@autox.team.net"
Subject: Re: [6pack] PI Rocker Ratio?
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2009 09:14:53 -0700
        John:

        That is my understanding as well. A popular misconception seems to be
that the PI got its power primarily from the Lucas injection, but that is not
the case. The 1969 PI had:

           UK Spec                      US Spec
      -------------------------------------
        280 degree cam        240 degree cam
        1.5 rockers           1.4 rockers
        9.5:1 compression     8.5:1 compression
        Wideport head         Narrow port head
        Cold air intake       Dual air filter
        Dual exhaust          Single exhaust
      Fuel injection        Dual ZS carburetors

        Together these gave the 150HP vs the 105HP in the US. The later US TR6s
got some of these nicer bits as the emissions requirements sapped power from
the engine, but as we all know the TR6 only kept the power at 105HP, it never
went up.
        Pity the poor MGB owner during this time. Power went down as time went
on, and in the last year of production I recall the MGB wheezed out a measly 65
HP making the TR6 seem like a rocket ship by comparison. 'Course the Datsun
240Z was making 150HP from its 2.4 liter, so Triumph had a few things to learn
from Japan about how to make power *and* meet emissions.

        Vance

    Vance Navarrette
    Cogito Ergo Zoom
    I think, therefore I go fast