Re: [6pack] PI Rocker Ratio?

To: <Btp44@aol.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [6pack] PI Rocker Ratio?
From: "John Macartney" <standardtriumph@btinternet.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2009 01:11:33 -0000
> Jonmac-Even though the PI cars weren't marketed in NA, the TRF catalog lists
> all of the PI components, including a cylinder head for "police cars only"?

A strange decision for Mr. Runyan to make? Presumably he's selling kit for
people to convert? As for
the police cars, Standard-Triumph did sell a large number of cars to UK police
forces. Mostly, they
were the 2.5PI saloon car with a special police spec on several different
fronts. On occasions, I
drove these police variants when they'd been returned from different forces
after evaluation as
motorway patrol cars. They were considerably faster than the normal 2.5PI
(132bhp) with TR5 & 6 at
150bhp. At a guesstimate, I'd say the output was around 170bhp. They certainly
had unique camshafts,
different distributor settings, different heads and completely different datum
track settings on the
metering units. I do remember returning one to the factory in Coventry from
London and this was
fitted with a separate police spec speedo that was super accurate. All I do
remember was that at
120mph, the car was still accelerating and was very much on the level and not
downhill. By contrast,
the normal version sold to the general public would just about stagger to 110
downhill with a
following wind.

Jonmac