Re: [6pack] Alternator quandry

To: "Vance Navarrette" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>, "6pack"
Subject: Re: [6pack] Alternator quandry
From: "Tomislav Marincic" <tomislav.marincic@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 13:51:33 -0400
Vance,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I have Dan Masters' book, and on page 157 he says to connect the alternator
with three wires. I also downloaded some instructions from Moss Motors
(http://www.mossmotors.com/graphics/products/PDF/540-280.pdf) that say to
use just 2 wires. When you mention "I miswired the original and blew it
up", you are addressing my biggest concern. If I fry my new wiring harness,
I'm going to soak the car with gasoline and immolate myself in it like a
protesting Zen monk.

How many wires do you other guys have in your 3-terminal plugs? I assume
everyone has the big brown-white wire and the smaller brown-yellow, but is
the small solid-brown necessary or not?

Thanks, Tom

alternators, you will see that they are identical. When I replaced my
alternator last time (I miswired the original and blew it up - can't blame
that one on the prince of darkness. Drat!) The replacement had the 3 wire
connection instead of 4 (I think that is the number of wires. Maybe it was
two instead of three...?). Being a wack job for originality for the most
part, I was ready to ask for another one. The parts guy popped the back
cover off on the spot, pointed to where the missing terminal was supposed
to attach. He moved the terminal over from my old one, swapped the rear
covers, and everything was fine.  Go figure.
>       The core charge for my old alternator was $1. Apparently they do not get
much call for the old Lucas stuff anymore. Sigh.

>     Vance Navarrette
>     Cogito Ergo Zoom
>     I think, therefore I go fast

On Behalf Of Tomislav Marincic
> Sent: Thursday, March 19, 2009 10:06 AM
> To: 6pack
> Subject: [6pack] Alternator quandry
>
> Hello,
>
> Through some further stupidity on my part, I've wound up with an
alternator intended for a MGB, '78-80, instead of a TR6, 1974...

> Both are Lucas ACR18 types, both rotate the same direction, both are
internally regulated, both have 3-terminal connections, both mount the
same, etc. However, no catalog lists the same alternator for these two
applications. (TR6's call for remanufactured Lucas A1811 or 1817, MGB's for
Lucas A1812 or 1816).

> Can I safely assume that the differences are down to terminal
orientation, pulley size, and subtle difference in output, or can there be
some sort of "cosmic" internal difference?