[6pack] Alternator quandry

To: "6pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: [6pack] Alternator quandry
From: "Tomislav Marincic" <tomislav.marincic@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 13:06:11 -0400
Hello,

Through some further stupidity on my part, I've wound up with an alternator
intended for a MGB, '78-80, instead of a TR6, 1974...

Both are Lucas ACR18 types, both rotate the same direction, both are internally
regulated, both have 3-terminal connections, both mount the same, etc. However,
no catalog lists the same alternator for these two applications. (TR6's call
for remanufactured Lucas A1811 or 1817, MGB's for Lucas A1812 or 1816).

Can I safely assume that the differences are down to terminal orientation,
pulley size, and subtle difference in output, or can there be some sort of
"cosmic" internal difference?

Also, I'm converting from 5-terminal to 3-terminal wiring. If I understand all
the various online instructions correctly, will there be only 2 wires in the
final connection (large brown-white positive lead, small brown-yellow
indicating lead)? Moss says to remove the loop wire, and fold the solid-brown
and black wires back into the harness. That leaves just 2 wires connected to
the alternator.

Thanks, Tom (4 years into a 2-year restoration)