Re: [6pack] More POWAH

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [6pack] More POWAH
From: Robert Lang <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 12:06:58 -0400 (EDT)
Hi,

So, I strapped one of my cars on a dyno expecting "big numbers" or at the
very least bigger numbers than what I had seen before. Assuming things
like 12:1 compression and proper cam timing, I should def. see 150 fwhp
and that should translate to maybe 130 at the wheels. I eventually got
there (135.8 to the wheels), but less than what I really want.

So, where did we go wrong?

I took the motor apart a couple of weeks ago. Bear in mind that I need to
start driving this car in a week or so from now. The "tradition"
continues, e.g. Bob starts major car repair / improvement just before
needing to use said vehicle. I think I like the excitement of the
last-minute "gotta get 'er done" thing.

At any rate, 12:1 should mean roughly 36 cc combustion chambers. Note -
that includes the head gasket. Fearing that taking off too much head
material, I cut the head to  3.315". That should have been 3.295 according
to the TR6 Comp. Prep book.

Turns out I was waaaaay too conservative. I measured the head w/o the
gasket and I have 38cc chambers. Add the gasket (and factor out a tad due
to the dome pistons), and we're close to 41cc chambers. Even with a .040
overbore, this is something like 10.4 or 10.5:1...

So, I'm making the exact amount of power that I should be making
considering all the parts of the system.

Oh well. I'll put that motor back together and go to plan B which is to
finish the other motor. That one is def. over 12:1!!

In the words of H, Simpson...

DOH!

On the plus side, I def. don't need 110 octane fuel with what I have right
now. :-)

rml
p.s. having a burrette is awesome. CC'ing the heads is a 20 min job and
well worth it if you take the time.
Bob Lang              NER/SCCA                 |  This space for rent
Solo Chair 2008       TR6 40 F Prepared        |  Triumph!
Voice:781-438-2568    FAX: 617-258-9535        |  Cell: 339-927-4489