Re: [6pack] Hardtop prices

To: Kevin McNelis <kmcnelis@nmsu.edu>
Subject: Re: [6pack] Hardtop prices
From: Robert Lang <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 13:54:09 -0400 (EDT)
On Thu, 26 Mar 2009, Kevin McNelis wrote:

> Which brings up an interesting question, that I THINK I know the answer
> to...

[stuff deleted]

> So, thinking down the road to someday when I might decide to sell the car,
> would I get enough of a higher price with the hardtop included with the car
> to justify NOT selling the hardtop now?  In other words, would I be better
> off getting $600 now, or would the inclusion of the hardtop with the car get
> me an extra $1,000 or so?

I'm not a collector, so anything I say can be safely ignored.

:-)

>From the concours standpoint, if your car came from Coventry with a
hardtop (or any other DOCUMENTED option) then keeping it will maintain the
originality.

If your car did NOT come with a hardtop (or O/D or whatever), having one
may or may not increase the value if the car depending (of course) on the
condition at the time of sale.

The presence of those options shouldn't hurt the resale value, but if
someone is buying an original car, then it should have all the original
stuff. No more, no less. If the car didn't come with an option and that
option is included in the sale, the car is by definition "over-restored".

> Opine away!
>
> Kevin
> K5KMC
> CC82183U

rml
CR1871UO
CF14111
Others that are mostly long gone
Bob Lang              NER/SCCA                 |  This space for rent
Solo Chair 2008       TR6 40 F Prepared        |  Triumph!
Voice:781-438-2568    FAX: 617-258-9535        |  Cell: 339-927-4489