Re: [6pack] Brake and Oil Warning Lights

To: Dave <forzion@maine.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [6pack] Brake and Oil Warning Lights
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Tue, 5 May 2009 14:00:41 -0700
        Dave:

        The twisted logic works thus:

        The brake warning light must (by federal law) illuminate when the key
is in
the run position, but the engine is not running. It must also extinguish when
the engine starts UNLESS there has been a brake failure.

        The twisted wiring you see there permitted the factory to meet this
requirement without adding another oil pressure switch or some other device to
ground the brake warning light. It also permits the oil pressure light to
function more or less normally using the same oil pressure switch as the brake
light.
        I defy you to meet the above requirement without adding an additional
part to
car, while preserving the functionality of the oil pressure warning light. It
is not obvious to me as to how it can be done.
        Given that you are required to have a brake warning light (which
requires a
light and a brake warning switch of some sort) and you wish to have an oil
pressure idiot light, it is actually very clever. It saved you $1.39 that it
would have cost to add another switched grounding point for the brake warning
circuit.

        Vance

    Vance Navarrette
    Cogito Ergo Zoom