Re: [6pack] [TR] TR6 - Help Wanted

To: dctr6@optonline.net, 6pack@autox.team.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [6pack] [TR] TR6 - Help Wanted
From: DLylis@aol.com
Date: Fri, 8 May 2009 18:27:51 EDT
In a message dated 5/8/2009 11:17:10 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
dctr6@optonline.net writes:

All went  extremely well until about 100 miles from home.  The car starts
and idles  fine, and runs in the low revs OK but will not run over 4000 RPM.
It just  seems to choke - it made the long hills on I-81 in Pennsylvania a
real chore -  I'd get going 75-80 mph at the bottom of the hill and would
barely be doing  55-60 at the top - it just wouldn't go any faster.

You seem to be describing two things here.  If you are cranking  the motor
at 4,000 rpm and going 80 mph at the bottom of the hill, but will be  going
50 - 60 mph at the top, I assume that you are no longer cranking 4,000  rpm,
but have dropped to 2,500 - 3,000.  When you crest the hill you can  then
get back up to 4,000 rpm and go fast again.  Correct?
You are also describing that the car runs fine through all of this.   (I
think)  When you say it "chokes" are you saying that it breaks down, or  no
matter how much pedal you give it it slows to the top of the hill, but does
so without sputtering or misfiring?
If it is the latter, rather than the former, the first thing I would do is
remove the air cleaner box and have someone floor the throttle.  (Not
running)  Do not do it with your hand under the bonnet (open the throttle,
that
is).  Do it as if the car is being driven.  Look in the carb  throats and
see if the throttle plate goes to a horizontal position.  My  guess is that
although your foot is telling you you are at full throttle, your  carbs see
this otherwise.
I have had this happen with my 69 and did not discover the problem until
someone stepped on the pedal while I looked.  Advancing the linkage  with my
hand covered up the issue.
Good luck.

David  Lylis
69 TR6 CC26160L