[6pack] Engine runs better with 160 thermostat?

To: "Vsnively@aol.com" <Vsnively@aol.com>, "6pack@autox.team.net"
Subject: [6pack] Engine runs better with 160 thermostat?
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2010 07:22:59 -0700
        Vic:

        It is probably not your imagination. Running a cooler than stock
thermostat
is a racer's trick to increase power. Since the intake manifold is at the
coolant temperature, installing a 160 thermostat effectively reduces the temp
of the incoming air, rendering it denser and therefore containing more oxygen.
This allows you to burn more fuel and create more power - all other things
being equal.
        My hero, David Vizard (an Englishman by the way) has written many books
on
engine tuning, and mentions this regularly as a tuning trick. The downside
(and there is always a downside) is that the engine oil runs cooler, and so
collects more acids that shorten engine life. Also, if taken to extremes, the
oil never warms up enough to achieve optimum lubricity - increasing wear and
reducing economy.
        The downside can be partially mitigated by frequent oil changes to
remove the
acids and combustion products that would otherwise be driven off at higher
temperatures.

        Cheers,

        Vance

    Vance Navarrette