Re: [6pack] Engine runs better with 160 thermostat?

To: vance.navarrette@intel.com, 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [6pack] Engine runs better with 160 thermostat?
From: Vsnively@aol.com
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2010 10:43:54 EDT
Vance,

Thanks, makes perfect sense. I should definitely change oil more often
based on this info.

Regards,
Vic Snively
'75 TR6 w/AC

In a message dated 4/9/2010 10:23:13 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
vance.navarrette@intel.com writes:

Vic:

It is probably not your imagination. Running  a cooler than stock
thermostat is a racer's trick to increase power. Since the  intake manifold is
at the
coolant temperature, installing a 160 thermostat  effectively reduces the
temp of the incoming air, rendering it denser and  therefore containing more
oxygen. This allows you to burn more fuel and create  more power - all other
things being equal.
My hero, David  Vizard (an Englishman by the way) has written many books on
engine tuning, and  mentions this regularly as a tuning trick. The downside
(and there is always a  downside) is that the engine oil runs cooler, and
so collects more acids that  shorten engine life. Also, if taken to extremes,
the oil never warms up enough  to achieve optimum lubricity - increasing
wear and reducing economy.
The downside can be partially mitigated by frequent oil  changes to remove
the acids and combustion products that would otherwise be  driven off at
higher temperatures.

Cheers,

Vance

Vance Navarrette