Re: [6pack] Odometers

To: 6pack <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [6pack] Odometers
From: Douglas Morris <dcmdcm@nc.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2010 01:28:38 -0400
Sooo, what you're saying is that your idea doesn't work. ;-)
Actually, that is worth knowin'.
Saves me from false hope if I were to notice that symptom.
Yep, I know lots'a stuff that doesn't work in a variety of subjects. Might
write a book about that, someday.
Next rainy day, I'll yank the speedo, spray the begeezus out'a it with WD-40
and cram it back in. (That's an old amateur-gunsmith's trick that never, ever
works, either.)

Actually, I just got the charging system* working again, so I'm gonna drive
'er for a while. Don't really need to know how far I've gone, anyway. Hey,
come to think of it; if I get a GPS, I may never have to fix the odometer.
And, yes, that's an excuse. Y'see, I have big hands; an' TR-6 instrument panel
backsides ain't designed to be fiddled-with by guys with big hands. (I suspect
that the Brits used child labor for some of their assembling. You know, teeny
little orphans who, in the old days, would have been used as chimney sweeps.)

* The charging-system problem drove me nuts.
Batty load-test: good. Metered batty: no charging. Dash v-meter: no charging.
Warning light: off. Meter at alternator output: ~19v. Meter at alt field
input: ~12v. Whaa?!
[consults wiring diagram]
Okay, time to try the unlikely. Continuity-check thick brown wire from alt
output to the junction block at batty pos (where four brown wires connect to
the thick red wire from batty pos to starter): uhm, open. Crap! I'm gonna
hafta re-wire through the firewall to ...
Oh, wait. Howscome the thick brown wire at the junction block (hidden by hoses
& wires) ain't connected to nuthin'? Not even to its spade connector which is
still connected to it's post in the bottom side of the junction block? D'oh!
Clean, recrimp, shrink-tube, grease, & reconnect => juice!

I'll, uh, go back and solder all those connectors someday. Well, I'll put that
on the to-do list, anyway.

Doug Morris, NC

On Apr 18, 2010, at 10:00 PM, Sally or Dick Taylor wrote:

> Doug---This happened to my speedo when the main numbers tried to turn over
to zero. The speed registered, but the mileage didn't. I found out accidently
that driving backwards for several yards freed up whatever was stuck in the
pack of numbers. It happened again about 400 miles later and then by tripping
the meter stem back to 000 it worked again for a while. Later I had the unit
rebuilt (West Valley Instruments) and all is well again.

6pack@autox.team.net
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums