[6pack] Starter/ring gear problem

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: [6pack] Starter/ring gear problem
From: michael lunsford <mblunsfordsr@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2010 12:28:59 -0700 (PDT)
I don't have any personal knowledge of this but I'm sure some of the listers
do:

It seems like I recall a thread about the ring gear having the wrong gear
angle for cars with starters that engaged from the rear (this is not an
obscene comment).  As I recall the ring gear was originally designed for cars
that used a pull method of engaging the starter not the push method used on
our 6s and etc.  If this is the case, it would seem that the ring gear or
starter gear would be more likely to fail and, most importantly, if it becomes
necessary to remove it from the flywheel you could rotate it 180 degrees,
reinstall it and it would work even better than the original.  What says the
listers, is this a reasonable conclusion?

Mike Lunsford, 1970 TR6

6pack@autox.team.net
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive