Re: [6pack] Gear selector shaft detents

To: Triumph 6 Pack <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [6pack] Gear selector shaft detents
From: John North <johncnorth@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2013 13:53:51 -0500
I was able to get the loose ball back in the shaft using a dummy shaft
about 3" long with the end cut at a 45 degree angle.   I used 1/2" rod
from Home Depot.   I pushed it in from the back using the real shaft
while easing the ball back into the slot with a screwdriver from the
front.   This allowed me to get back to square one with all three
shafts in place and operating.

So then I extended the dummy shaft idea and made three about 5" long
and inserted them from the front as I withdrew the shafts.   These
kept the detent balls in their channel.   I shook out the two
interlock balls that prevent selecting more than one gear at a time as
I inserted the dummy shafts.

So now I have the top cover clear and can drill and tap...

John North
1976 TR6