Re: [6pack] [TR] A little story about Coker tires

To: auprichard@uprichard.net, 6pack@autox.team.net, Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [6pack] [TR] A little story about Coker tires
From: DAVE HOGYE <dlhogye@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2020 16:15:22 -0700 (PDT)

------=_Part_3706_1215052107.1602630922896

I guess these are bias-ply tires.  Bias-ply tires are difficult to deal wit=
h.  Some say, don't even bother with balancing until they are broken in wit=
h say, a few hundred miles on them. They tend to be out-of-round when new. =
 I had huge problems with two new sets of Hoosier Vintage TD race tires for=
 my TR3.  Around $1200 a set, mounted and balanced.  I drive my car on the =
street too, so I was able to discover this before getting to the track.  Re=
peated tries at balancing went nowhere.  I had them "road force balanced" m=
ultiple times in attempt to improve the matter.  This machine reads the run=
-out.   I think 20 was about the number that you would not feel while drivi=
ng.  None of the tires were under 30 and some were 80.  You didn't need a m=
achine to see how out-of round they were, even at 30.  Terrible.  They real=
ly upset a weekend of racing at the Laguna Seca, Rolex Reunion.  The car sh=
ook terribly between 60-90 mph.  Above 90 was better.   After the event I c=
alled Hoosier and they sent me another set, no charge.  I had to eat the ex=
tra attempts at balancing.  The second set was also very bad and a year lat=
er, my second Rolex race weekend was equally disappointing.  Hoosier sent a=
 third set, no charge.   This set was excellent.  This event is the only on=
e that I have to run bias-ply race tires.  I've heard from other racers tha=
t the much more expensive Dunlops are even worst.  Hoosier did not request =
the bad sets be sent back.  I have since remounted a couple of lower "road =
force" numbered tires and they are good now.  So with some wear, they did g=
et better. =20
Roger Kraus Racing, tire company, recommended truing these tires by shaving=
 the tread when newly mounted if they are noticeably out-of round and take =
a lot of weight to balance. =20
Happy motoring,
Dave H.

>     On 10/13/2020 3:05 PM auprichard@uprichard.net wrote:
>=20
>=20
>=20
>     Just for what it=E2=80=99s worth=E2=80=A6..
>=20
>     =20
>=20
>     When I bought my TR5 from Charles Runyan=E2=80=99s estate, it came wi=
th 15 year-old tires.  They had little to no wear, and drove fine, but I de=
cided I should do the right thing and replace them if I was to take loved o=
nes out for a drive in the car.
>=20
>     =20
>=20
>     Since there was only one manufacturer to choose from for redline tire=
s, I bought 4 tires from Coker, through Discount Tire.  Not cheap!!
>=20
>     =20
>=20
>     I put them on the car and there was a terrible wobble around 50 mph. =
 I took them back twice to Discount to get them balanced, but the wobble pe=
rsisted.  Finally, I took them to an old guy (well, older than me) in Detro=
it who boasted he had balanced wire wheels for 40 years.  He told me the ti=
res were so out of true they could not be balanced.=20
>=20
>     =20
>=20
>     I took them back to Discount Tire and they called Coker.  Coker refus=
ed to take them back unless they fell outside certain specifications.  The =
Discount Tire shop didn=E2=80=99t really know what Coker was talking about,=
 but went through the process and sure enough, the tires all fell outside t=
he specifications.
>=20
>     =20
>=20
>     So the good news is, Coker will take them back.  The bad news is, Cok=
er has no redline tires and doesn=E2=80=99t know when they will have more, =
if ever.
>=20
>     =20
>=20
>     So my plan is to put new tires, not redline, on the car and keep the =
redlines I have if ever a buyer wants originality or the car is shown.
>=20
>     =20
>=20
>     Andrew Uprichard
>=20
>     Jackson, Michigan
>=20
>     ** triumphs@autox.team.net **
>=20
>     Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
>     Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs http://www.team.net/a=
rchive
>=20
>     Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/dl=
hogye@comcast.net
>=20

------=_Part_3706_1215052107.1602630922896

<!doctype html>
 <head>=20
 </head>
 color: #333333;">
re bias-ply tires.&nbsp; Bias-ply tires are difficult to deal with.&nbsp; S=
ome say, don't even bother with balancing until they are broken in with say=
, a few hundred miles on them. They tend to be out-of-round when new.&nbsp;=
 I had huge problems with two new sets of Hoosier Vintage TD race tires for=
 my TR3.&nbsp; Around $1200 a set, mounted and balanced.&nbsp; I drive my c=
ar on the street too, so I was able to discover this before getting to the =
track.&nbsp; Repeated tries at balancing went nowhere.&nbsp; I had them "ro=
ad force balanced" multiple times in attempt to improve the matter.&nbsp; T=
his machine reads the run-out.&nbsp; &nbsp;I think 20 was about the number =
that you would not feel while driving.&nbsp; None of the tires were under 3=
0 and some were 80.&nbsp; You didn't need a machine to see how out-of round=
 they were, even at 30.&nbsp; Terrible.&nbsp; They really upset a weekend o=
f racing at the Laguna Seca, Rolex Reunion.&nbsp; The car shook terribly be=
tween 60-90 mph.&nbsp; Above 90 was better.&nbsp; &nbsp;After the event I c=
alled Hoosier and they sent me another set, no charge.&nbsp; I had to eat t=
he extra attempts at balancing.&nbsp; The second set was also very bad and =
a year later, my second Rolex race weekend was equally disappointing.&nbsp;=
 Hoosier sent a third set, no charge.&nbsp; &nbsp;This set was excellent.&n=
bsp; This event is the only one that I have to run bias-ply race tires.&nbs=
p; I've heard from other racers that the much more expensive Dunlops are ev=
en worst.&nbsp; Hoosier did not request the bad sets be sent back.&nbsp; I =
have since remounted a couple of lower "road force" numbered tires and they=
 are good now.&nbsp; So with some wear, they did get better.&nbsp;&nbsp;</s=
pan>
 color: #333333;">
ing, tire company, recommended truing these tires by shaving the tread when=
 newly mounted if they are noticeably out-of round and take a lot of weight=
 to balance.&nbsp;&nbsp;</span>
 color: #333333;">
 color: #333333;">
    On 10/13/2020 3:05 PM auprichard@uprichard.net wrote:
serif; color: #1f497d;">Just for what it=E2=80=99s worth=E2=80=A6..</span><=
/p>
serif; color: #1f497d;">&nbsp;</span></p>
serif; color: #1f497d;">When I bought my TR5 from Charles Runyan=E2=80=99s =
estate, it came with 15 year-old tires.&nbsp; They had little to no wear, a=
nd drove fine, but I decided I should do the right thing and replace them i=
f I was to take loved ones out for a drive in the car.</span></p>
serif; color: #1f497d;">&nbsp;</span></p>
serif; color: #1f497d;">Since there was only one manufacturer to choose fro=
m for redline tires, I bought 4 tires from Coker, through Discount Tire.&nb=
sp; Not cheap!!</span></p>
serif; color: #1f497d;">&nbsp;</span></p>
serif; color: #1f497d;">I put them on the car and there was a terrible wobb=
le around 50 mph.&nbsp; I took them back twice to Discount to get them bala=
nced, but the wobble persisted.&nbsp; Finally, I took them to an old guy (w=
ell, older than me) in Detroit who boasted he had balanced wire wheels for =
40 years.&nbsp; He told me the tires were so out of true they could not be =
balanced.&nbsp; </span></p>
serif; color: #1f497d;">&nbsp;</span></p>
serif; color: #1f497d;">I took them back to Discount Tire and they called C=
oker.&nbsp; Coker refused to take them back unless they fell outside certai=
n specifications.&nbsp; The Discount Tire shop didn=E2=80=99t really know w=
hat Coker was talking about, but went through the process and sure enough, =
the tires all fell outside the specifications.</span></p>
serif; color: #1f497d;">&nbsp;</span></p>
serif; color: #1f497d;">So the good news is, Coker will take them back.&nbs=
p; The bad news is, Coker has no redline tires and doesn=E2=80=99t know whe=
n they will have more, if ever.</span></p>
serif; color: #1f497d;">&nbsp;</span></p>
serif; color: #1f497d;">So my plan is to put new tires, not redline, on the=
 car and keep the redlines I have if ever a buyer wants originality or the =
car is shown.</span></p>
serif; color: #1f497d;">&nbsp;</span></p>
serif; color: #1f497d;">Andrew Uprichard</span></p>
serif; color: #1f497d;">Jackson, Michigan</span></p>
archive
lhogye@comcast.net
------=_Part_3706_1215052107.1602630922896--

--===============4055789182937015947==