Re: battery blowout- no Alpine content

To: <alpines@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: battery blowout- no Alpine content
From: "Louis & Laila" <bwana@c2i2.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2000 16:10:20 -0700
 Glad it wasn't in a Sunbeam, then the interior would've got trashed!

Batteries exploding is rare but it does happen. That is one of the reasons
you should never jump start straight to the terminals of a battery, but
connect to a ground as the last hookup.

On a side note, on a TA-75, a "Tug" used to tow aircraft and ground support
equipment in the Navy and Marine Corps, the battery is under the passenger's
seat. I watched a buddy of mine drive up, park the darn thing, and the two
got off and walked ten steps away and the battery blew! The seat cushion
went so high, it was almost out of sight! It would have killed the guy if he
was on it, no doubt in my mind. As it was, it was a topic for jokes for a
few years. And of course, there was a wasteful, ridiculous investigation for
misuse and abuse, dispite the fact that eyewitnesses told the same story,
and battery explosions are not unheard of.Lou