Re: Clutch Question

To: "Patrick" <pLaske@bigfoot.com>, "Sunbeam Alpines" <alpines@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Clutch Question
From: "Louis & Laila" <bwana@c2i2.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2000 19:39:21 -0700
Patrick,
     If you can make the clutch lever move by hand then you are DAMN strong.
It takes some 300-400 lbs of force I believe. But even if you still can't
move it after rebuilding all cylinders, the clutch may be rusted in place,
but the chance of that is about 100 to 1. Lastly, I have rebuilt masters and
a week later they failed. I think this is because they sat on the shelf a
long time and the rubber was "new" but it was shot. So just because you
rebuild it, don't expect it to be perfect.
     My advice is to drive it around a while. This will do two things for
you. 1. Let you get a feel of where the biggest problems lay so you can
focus your efforts wisely. 2. people never go to events if their car is in
pieces. The irony is that events are a fantasic arena to get ideas and
information. You can find out exactly what you want your car to look like
and head in that direction and get it right the first time. You can also
find out the shortest wat to get there through advice of prior restorers.
Lou