Series 3 queries

To: "alpines@autox.team.net" <alpines@autox.team.net>
Subject: Series 3 queries
From: Victor Hughes <v.hughes@student.canberra.edu.au>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 16:19:20 +1000
Hi listers,

As the S3 ST resto slowly approaches its end, I have a number of little
details to sort out.  In some cases I have forgotten what it was like
since I pulled it apart, others I suspect it wasn't right when I got it.

1 - Tool retaining clips in the boot.  I have 3 large and 5 small. Is
this enough?  Which fits where - I figured out that 2 small hold in the
wheel nut spanner on the right, the rest I don't know.

2 - Gearshift gaiter - I have one but what's the setup for securing it?
does it just slip into the hole in the tunnel or do I need something
else?

3 - Convertible Top .  There were these 'hessian' tapes fitted between
the bars of the soft top frame. I have made up new ones but the look is
pretty ordinary.  Were these daggy looking things standard, or has some
PO fudged it somewhere.  Has anyone fitted something else instead?

4 - Switch surrounds for 'Light', 'Panel'etc - you know those round
plastic jobs that fit on the dash - does anyone know a source for
repro's?

5 - Fuel cap - I have one but it's so cruddy I can't believe it's
original.  I tried to get another a few years back but the one offered
was too small.  My filler neck is 2 3/8 inch diameter with slightly
raised sections for retaining the cap.  What should the setup look like
on an S3.

6  Fuel balance hose.  My old one was rigid but that could have been
age.  I replaced it with some proper grade fuel hose but that is
flexible and flops down onto the spare.  Is this pipe normally retained
by some clips or something?

Thanks and sorry for such a long email

Vic Hughes.