Re: dieseling

To: <william.lewis@ucdmc.ucdavis.edu>
Subject: Re: dieseling
From: "Louis & Laila" <bwana@c2i2.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 22:28:06 -0700
It has been my experience that the carbon ring bearing is in contact with
the clutch at all times. This isn't a real big problem, but leads to faster
wear. Since it is just a friction fit, it doesn't matter if the darn thing
is perfectly in line with the clutch. I had a ball bearing on mine for a
while, and it made a little contact. The problem is that the Sunbeam bearing
isn't centralized on the transmission pilot bearing/retainer cover like it
is on other cars. The bearing makes contact wherever it rests. It spins on
one edge one time and another the next. To quiet it down, I put a return
spring on the slave cylinder. That solved the noise problem. After a while,
the bearing rubbing in different places eventually wore out the surface on
the clutch. I have since went back to the carbon bearing, quit riding the
clutch, resolved myself to change it when it goes bad, and haven't had a
problem since. Lou