Smog stuff

To: "alpines@autox.team.net" <alpines@autox.team.net>
Subject: Smog stuff
From: sosnaenergyconsulting@home.com
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 15:08:38 -0700
Hi all:
I tried to use the URL that Steve Laifman sent us, but I couldn't get it
to work.
I started looking around for references to SB 1811; found a few--and
I've been following the correspondence to the list.
I'm a little confused by Craig Wrights response--Since my '65 alpine
doesn't have to meet smog laws, and since my car is currently registered
by its appearance and not by its motor--how does this new law give me
advantages that I don't already have?

The new law sets a 5,000 mile per year cap on my car.  It requires me to
register it as a classic and to have "classic car insurance" which craps
out on me if I exceed the specified mileage.  I think it also requires
me to give up my original "black plates" and to get a special "classic
car" plate.

My car is a daily driver.  While it's quite possible that I've
misunderstood the intent of this law, it seems to me that "they" are
trying to limit my use of my car. And I happen to like my "black
plates".

For me, the current law gives me the freedoms that I wanted that led me
to buy my alpine in the first place.  As far as I can see the intended
changes will only be more restrictive.  If they want to set up a law
that covers people building their own hot rods entirely from newly
manufactured parts, great.  Leave me and my car alone.

My 2 cents
David Sosna
65 S4 GT V6