Re: Carb T Connector

To: kasl100@navix.net, alpines@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Carb T Connector
From: SloMoIV@aol.com
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 20:41:56 EDT
In a message dated 8/29/00 1:31:55 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
kasl100@navix.net writes:

<< Have their been any problems with gas leakage from the T connector on S5
 Alpines and if so how do you correct? I seem to have some leakage where
 the T fits into either carb. Brent

Some people have reported that the T's are prone to cracking (though my own
have lasted 10+ years/150K without problem).  If in doubt, replace it.

Many Strombergs have had their inlet pipes sawed down in the past to allow
clamped hoses to be used instead of the T.  These shortened pipes are
probably more susceptible to leaking if a T is refitted.

I've often found that the carbs are mounted out of alignment on the manifold
- so much so that the T could be distorted without cracking, allowing
leakage.  See if your inlet pipes line up.

Also, are you using an electric pump with the pressure turned up too high?

Dick Sanders
Seattle