Re: Re: Brake anti-squeal goo

To: alpines@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Re: Brake anti-squeal goo
From: Bob Douglas <b_s_d@ureach.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2000 10:55:59 -0500
Get your own "800" number
Voicemail, fax, email, and a lot more
http://www.ureach.com/reg/tag

---- On Mon, 04 Dec 2000, Paul Heuer (p_heuer@hotmail.com) wrote:

> >From: JACranwell@cs.com
>
> The only thing that has come to mind is that when I overhauled the
> calipers I used pistons that are 'rust-proof'. They are made in
> Australia, and are a brown material which looks like bakelite.

Likely phenolic pistons as are used on many new cars, especially those with
ABS.
Advantages are less heat transfer from pad to caliper and lower weight than
steel.

I'd be more suspicious of the pads than the piston.  I had some of the early
non-asbestos linings that were miserably loud.  Problem went away with a new
set
made of different material.

Regards,  Bob Douglas