Re: Brake anti-squeal goo

To: JACranwell@cs.com
Subject: Re: Brake anti-squeal goo
From: "Paul Heuer" <p_heuer@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2000 09:21:30 +1030
>From: JACranwell@cs.com
>If it's that bad, it sounds like you've got metal on metal.

I stopped driving the car until I could check it out. Unfortunately there
was so much else happening that I didn't get back to look for about two
months! Anyhow, I checked last week, the pads have plenty of 'meat' on them,
there's no metal-on-metal, and the car stops well.

The only thing that has come to mind is that when I overhauled the calipers
I used pistons that are 'rust-proof'. They are made in Australia, and are a
brown material which looks like bakelite. It's possible that this is the
source of the vibration which is causing the squeal. By 'gooing' the pads
onto the pistons, maybe all I've done is amplified the vibration! The pads
are of unknown origin and age too, so I think I'll replace the pads and add
shims, then if it still squeals, I'll think about replacing the pistons with
conventional ones.

Thanks for everyone's advice.
Cheers,
Paul.