Exhaust Manifold Gaskets

To: alpines@autox.team.net
Subject: Exhaust Manifold Gaskets
From: Jay_Laifman@countrywide.com
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2000 10:18:54 -0800
Stupid question.  Which one goes on first?  The material one or the metal
one?  I used to know, remember I used to know, but now it's a 50/50
proposition that I'll choose the right one!  My feeling is that the
material one goes against the head and the metal one goes against the
manifold.

Also, is there a reason why the metal one should be used at all?  When I
put the Holbay head on, the holes on the gasket were stock Alpine, and thus
too small.  I enlarged the material one, and ran with it only, with no
apparent problems.  The new gaskets I obtained are actually the larger
Holbay size.  So, I can easily use both if there is a reason to.

Thanks.

Jay