Re: [No Alpine Content (general auto help required)]

To: Alex & Peggy McGregor <apmcgregor@home.com>,
Subject: Re: [No Alpine Content (general auto help required)]
From: Jan Eyerman <jan.eyerman@usa.net>
Date: 8 Dec 00 21:15:00 EST
If you have the room, you can do it.  I am assuming an aluminum head.  Buy a
helicoil, a special helicoil tap and the helicoil installation tool and go to
it. Downside?  Yep, aluminum bits inside the combustion chamber-not good for
the rings, cylinder walls and exhaust valve.  I would make sure that the
piston was at TDC for that cylinder so damage (if any) would be minimal.  I
can't imagine that you blew a sparkplug out of a cast iron head.

An old trick back in pre-historic days was to use a larger diameter sparkplug
and just retap the sparkplug hole.  I don't think you can do that today. But
are there larger diameter sparkplugs???

Jan

Alex & Peggy McGregor <apmcgregor@home.com> wrote:
My daughter came home from school 400 miles away yesterday.  This morning she
went
out to start her 89 ford Probe (similar to Mazda MX3), heard a bang and quit.
When I looked, it had blown a spark plug out of the head.  Since he wants to
return Wednesday (and I don't want to give up my car until Xmas), we'll have
try to fix it.

Normally I'd yank the head, get an insert installed & a valve job while at
it.
Does anyone know if an insert can be installed with the head on the car?  I'm
too
cheap to pay someone to remove & replace the head.

My apologies for bombing the list with a @#$%^**& Ford question, but thanks
in
advance.

Al McGregor